Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
- im-a-flightlessbird reblogged this from todaywassoup
- im-a-flightlessbird likes this
- zooglemoof reblogged this from the-great-mighty-dick
- allweareisallwecanbe reblogged this from inlove-outofcontrol
- lovethelifeyouweregiven reblogged this from inlove-outofcontrol
- allweareisallwecanbe likes this
- dqt likes this
- what-a-wonderfulphrase reblogged this from thehumblelee
- stupahdupahfly reblogged this from aztec-over-everything
- christopherpined likes this
- inlove-outofcontrol reblogged this from fragilebrokenthings-
- riverendsophie reblogged this from howtedmethiswife
- mistaken-music reblogged this from trisarahtoops
- jadeflower likes this
- jadeflower reblogged this from poi-cake
- unpeacefulsoul reblogged this from unguidedteenager
- emilyshannondiener likes this
- beccerrr reblogged this from xreckonery
- baddie reblogged this from dasbatter
- the-fangirl-curse reblogged this from mourn-the-wicked
- declan-m reblogged this from stuck-in--the-labyrinth
- dapaynis likes this
- impalamama likes this
- declan-m likes this
- underlingsabovethestars likes this
- gamzeesmiracal reblogged this from poi-cake
- thelazyknitter likes this
- poi-cake reblogged this from actualclassybonermeriman
- sleepyfetus reblogged this from tripthemgently
- theearthbelowourfeet likes this
- deerdick likes this
- prettydaze likes this
- hannaclemence likes this
- jayceedlpou reblogged this from justa-holy-fool
- jayceedlpou likes this
- ezpanitl reblogged this from fhigs
- sometheatrebitch reblogged this from lordmaudlinbitch and added:
- we-are-going-shawarming reblogged this from deluxeyellowflower
- sheenmccaig reblogged this from the-satanic-hispanic
- deluxeyellowflower reblogged this from wishplosion
- deluxeyellowflower likes this
- musiaa-and-shipper reblogged this from fhigs and added:
- exodiablack likes this
- yourcyberneko reblogged this from bickzy
- paschendale likes this
- pacmangoesmunch reblogged this from state-of-synchronicity
- itallstartedwithasimpledream likes this
- the-great-mighty-dick reblogged this from actualclassybonermeriman