Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
- lornrocks reblogged this from bonerdoctor
- lizziecanoillustrator likes this
- 0sc4r likes this
- i-xviii reblogged this from bonerdoctor
- youseeandthink reblogged this from supersassycas and added:
- time-on-the-sea likes this
- supersassycas reblogged this from quietpoet
- gunsinarcadia likes this
- cynwise likes this
- bonerdoctor reblogged this from penismanlyguy69
- underronesky reblogged this from jezzy121
- nancxpants reblogged this from chicoconpelorosa and added:
- -tinabeana- likes this
- fullylovely likes this
- littlecatflowers likes this
- wtfyamanaka likes this
- mistressmonochrome reblogged this from ahfuckit313
- petra-is-stuck-in-the-tree likes this
- catwrap reblogged this from graveexcitement
- catwrap likes this
- incantamina likes this
- pinknpotions likes this
- pfahl-and-turnips reblogged this from kateordie
- smitty-warbenjagermanjensen reblogged this from pickledinsanity
- smitty-warbenjagermanjensen likes this
- ahfuckit313 reblogged this from simplex-lux
- pacotheskunk reblogged this from garyhiggins
- no-new likes this
- pbder likes this
- pickledinsanity reblogged this from jaspersforever
- logan-the-krogan likes this
- jmrico reblogged this from oceanussomnia
- 8bitkyubey reblogged this from crunquistadore
- 8bitkyubey likes this
- mysamelove likes this
- wowletterswhoa reblogged this from aestheticzombie
- cheetah964 likes this
- tom-david-capaldi-mccoy reblogged this from pumpkinappearifier
- tom-david-capaldi-mccoy likes this
- whatthebriannahale likes this
- lalalalane likes this
- throughthemeadows reblogged this from outthecellardoor
- throughthemeadows likes this
- captainmellowme reblogged this from pumpkinappearifier
- captainmellowme likes this
- pumpkinappearifier reblogged this from flairina
- oceanussomnia reblogged this from oh-captain-my-captainn
- okkarmapolice likes this
- okkarmapolice reblogged this from kateordie
- iwonderifihadanoreo reblogged this from asterweich