Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
- halo927 likes this
- a-princes-dark-heart likes this
- cakesandcarpets reblogged this from kayla-dangerfield
- kayla-dangerfield reblogged this from japhers
- eileeneuline likes this
- stephaniewizorek reblogged this from lelandmadisonstanford
- thehannsolo reblogged this from mirrix
- furrybones reblogged this from owarwoody
- sifirax reblogged this from solsticesoulrunning
- elsannafrickfractals reblogged this from spellcheckalways
- followandtag-clonecept likes this
- jenniferfitzskeletons reblogged this from everestw
- cyanidecatt reblogged this from spellcheckalways
- hollowedfox likes this
- everestw reblogged this from spellcheckalways
- everestw likes this
- bluepanther33158 likes this
- dirty-vamp reblogged this from slayerinabrowncoat
- slayerinabrowncoat reblogged this from spellcheckalways
- slayerinabrowncoat likes this
- itsapunderfulworld likes this
- yunbitch likes this
- tumb1r-victims-unit likes this
- flightningf reblogged this from spellcheckalways
- flightningf likes this
- gayer-then-you likes this
- gayer-then-you reblogged this from spellcheckalways
- despair-ation reblogged this from spellcheckalways
- despair-ation likes this
- mistwolfkid reblogged this from spellcheckalways
- mistwolfkid likes this
- owarwoody reblogged this from youronlyhopeishere
- spellcheckalways reblogged this from youronlyhopeishere
- youronlyhopeishere reblogged this from solsticesoulrunning
- youronlyhopeishere likes this
- leelooface likes this
- mewser123 likes this
- kelzen reblogged this from solsticesoulrunning
- solsticesoulrunning reblogged this from mirrix
- solsticesoulrunning likes this
- seeal reblogged this from prof-solus
- mirrix reblogged this from fanciful-fandomonium
- futurepineapple reblogged this from babybohemia
- mentaladventuress reblogged this from thatdangerous
- mentaladventuress likes this
- fanciful-fandomonium reblogged this from mahanaibu-eebowai
- itsfreytime likes this
- ghosts-of-ai-past likes this
- prof-solus reblogged this from babybohemia
- babybohemia reblogged this from lelandmadisonstanford