Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
- westybutts likes this
- flipdeckheck likes this
- jcahill reblogged this from alpoma
- morningglorified likes this
- moose-shampoo likes this
- hella-rad-bro reblogged this from why-is-the-tea-always-gone
- dum-dog reblogged this from mistercreamy
- everyonetookupthegoodnames likes this
- why-is-the-tea-always-gone reblogged this from ascandalinthepolicebox
- the-kind-stranger reblogged this from lexiibubblez
- ayorichh reblogged this from mistercreamy
- crazysmile87 likes this
- itsalwaysthequietones6 likes this
- vlittlesparrow likes this
- havoc-the-charizard likes this
- havoc-the-charizard reblogged this from cursed-blood-mirai-kuriyam
- hunshot reblogged this from kaitenchou
- hunshot likes this
- bobbiouniverse likes this
- freshest-tittymilk likes this
- kiddotrue reblogged this from digital-femme
- kiddotrue likes this
- sjdivjfnr reblogged this from snowluna
- doctorcaseyholmes reblogged this from ascandalinthepolicebox
- doctorcaseyholmes likes this
- destructivexlove likes this
- desire-escapism likes this
- desire-escapism reblogged this from redeyesthroughthenight
- richbitchmello likes this
- notmyskies likes this
- barbiebones reblogged this from redeyesthroughthenight and added:
- kaitenchou reblogged this from mistercreamy
- kaitenchou likes this
- redeyesthroughthenight reblogged this from little-bowser
- threetimestrue likes this
- little-bowser reblogged this from attackontightasses
- oceanismymiddlename reblogged this from ascandalinthepolicebox
- stirvinolady likes this
- ayuukachan likes this
- thehallspace likes this
- digital-femme reblogged this from youindanjasonyeo and added:
- massive-brandong likes this
- yellowcabtheory reblogged this from jaykob-michael
- mistercreamy reblogged this from snowluna
- snowluna reblogged this from zacksplosion
- zacksplosion reblogged this from kayirowling
- lexiibubblez reblogged this from moosetheangel
- moosetheangel reblogged this from alicefrench13